Wednesday, February 22, 2012

MFM Appointment

We met with the MFM (Maternal Fetal Medicine) doctor yesterday. (The same guy we met with in September to get the go ahead with our FET.) He kind of remembered us and reviewed our chart. Basically they don’t know the reasons for what happened with Gavin. Did the placental abruption cause the incompetent cervix or were they two separate issues? To be on the safe side they are going to start doing bi-weekly cervical checks starting in two weeks. There is nothing to do or check to see if I will have another placental abruption so I am on restrictions from exercise, running, skiing, ATVing, sex, and any other fun stuff! They might actually put me in a bubble for the next couple months 


There is no reason for these things to happen again but we will proceed with caution. It’s better to be safe than sorry. I’m off to Google the dangers of cervical checks. They don’t want to do weekly checks because there is some risk with performing these checks.

Oh – I won’t get another US until the 18 week anatomy scan. That seems so far away. Thank goodness for the Doppler!

12 comments:

  1. Those sound like all the same questions and concerns I will have (do have). I think it's good you are getting this all figured out now to be safe. I know that I would do whatever it took to be cautious before viability.
    Good luck with those checks...I would be nervous too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on the cervical check ups. I hope that all goes well with you. Sorry that you are taken off the fun stuff ie: sex!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WAit, dangers of cervical checks?

    I like the safe side. For now, I believe as long as 3 cm or longer, they are doing cervical lengths every two weeks. But the standard preterm clinic does internals every one week starting at 22 weeks.

    Rest periods are the one thing they are recommending right now to me. Emphatically not bed rest, but lying down for an hour two or three times a day.

    Happy good thoughts to 18!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cervical checks are a good thing because that means they are keeping a really close eye on you and baby. I also remember my high risk dr telling me to take it REALLY easy when I got home from work. Basically 'couch rest.' Way better than bed rest.

    And the no martial relations thing...yeah, hubby would ask at every appointment if we were cleared yet and the dr would just laugh and say, 'sorry, not yet.' LOL...

    I hope you can take it easy in the evenings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely better to be safe than sorry. But watch out for Mr. Google, he can be real nasty sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, better safe than sorry. Hopefully there will be nothing to worry about though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi There! Just wanted to say Im glad things are going as they should and so happy your Dr's have you on such a tight leash. This is a great thing because things can change so fast. They did bi-weekly internal checks on me for a very long time. And of course I was taken off of work because of the nature of my job. I would say rest is really the best thing you can do:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for explaining MFM! I've seen it in several places and had no idea what it is.

    Sorry there wasn't any conclusive reason for what happened with Gavin, but it's great they are keeping a close eye on you this time. As others have said, be careful with Google. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely better to err on the side of caution. A bubble works- anything to keep your little peanut safe inside!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried to respond to this before but something went wrong... Anyway, im definitely all about taking the extra monitoring! Makes you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad to hear that everything is going well, and extra monitoring is just fine in my book! That little Squatter needs lots of attention!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. omg!!! You are pregnant!! I am so excited for you!!! I have been in a daze of mommyhood the last couple months!! I am back when I can. I am so overjoyed and happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary